Wednesday, 6 November 2013

M23 fighters agree to end rebellion in DRC

M23 fighters agree to end rebellion in DRC
Congolese refugees flee into Uganda recently following fighting between DR Congo government and M23 rebels. The rebels have announced a an end to rebellion.


The M23 rebel group in eastern DR Congo yesterday announced they will end rebellion to pursue a political solution to their country’s problems just hours after the government claimed military victory.
The group’s president, Mr Bertrand Bisimwa, called on its fighters to disarm and demobilise.
This effectively ends the 21- month uprising and offers hope for peace in the war-tone eastern DR Congo.
“The commanders of all major units are requested to prepare troops for disarmament and demobilisation on terms to be agreed with the government,” Mr Bisimwa said in a statement.
The announcement came as the DR Congo national army declared victory over the rebels, having seized control of the last stronghold that had been held by M23 rebels for close to one year.
The M23 commander, Brig Gen Sultani Makenga, is said to have fled into neighbouring Rwanda. Al-Jazeera news agency showed pictures of his abandoned home in the village of Chanzu.
It is not known if the declaration was in response to the demand made at a Summit of African Presidents that gathered in Pretoria, South Africa.
Presidents from the Great Lakes region and SADC demanded on Monday that the M23 denounce rebellion, followed by a public declaration of acceptance from the Kinshasha government.
Meanwhile, calm has returned to the border town of Bunagana. Several Ugandan families, who had fled their homes on Monday, are returning to the town.
Officials in Kisoro said at least 100 Uganda families were displaced on Monday.