Farouk Sempala, the city hunk who snatched the city socialite Zari Hassan from the South African based tycoon Ivan Ssemwaga has said that he did not commit any crime by loving Zari.
Over the weekend, Farouk Sempala posted on social media the pictures of Zari and him while shopping and romancing.
He supplemented the pictures with these words “Kaabi chi
Bwetweyagala???” literally meaning that is there any problem if we love
Wednesday, 16 April 2014
Four fishermen have allegedly been killed by Rubondo Island National Park rangers, after they accused them of engaging in illegal fishing within the reserve in the Lake Victoria.
Reports have it that the rangers, who were on patrol arrested and immersed them in water before shooting them.
The deceased include Cleophad Maingu, 35, a resident of Kafunzo, Januari Magele, 38, a resident of Luholongoma, Hernest Jonathan alias Gidu, 24, a resident of Kahunda in Sengerema District, and Dunia Mapambano, 35, a resident of Kigoma Region.
It was alleged that after the arrest, five survivors attempted to escape but two of them, Juma Boniface, 25 and Bahati Mahangaiko, 18, both residents of Maisome in Sengerema, were arrested and handed to Geita District police station.
Frank Sebastian, 28, a resident of Kalebezo, Bahati Matayo and Doi Masanja, both residents of Maisome Island in Sengerema District, Mwanza succeeded to escape from the rangers’ custody.
The incident occurred on March 30, this year at 6.45am near Migongo landing site at Isaba Village, Maisome Island in Sengerema District.
It was on April 4, when the bodies with serious injuries on necks, heads and arms, were found after an intensive search conducted by Isaba villagers.
The alleged killings brings the number fishermen killed by gun shot, bayonet and deep water immersion to 14 since 2011.
The Mwanza regional police commander, Mr Valentino Mlowola, said though he did not associate park warders with the killings, police have launched a thorough investigation into the incident.
However, the RPC did not reject or accept that the wounds that were found in bodies of the deceased were caused by gunshot. “The injuries mighty have been resulted from stumbling on stones in the lake,” he said.
“Postmortem results are out but I can’t disclose the details here as I don’t have the file in which the results have been documented,” he said.
For his part, the Geita regional police commander, Mr Leonard Paulo, confirmed the arrest of the two fishermen, Juma Boniface and Bahati Mahangaiko, saying they had already been taken to court. According to the RPC, the two form part of a group of nine fishermen accused of engaging in illegal fishing, saying their accomplices managed to escape during the arrest.
This undated picture released by the Mokpo Coast Guard Station on April 16, 2014 shows the 6,825-ton vessel Sewol that was at the centre of a rescue operation after it sent a distress signal. South Korea despatched coastguard vessels and helicopters on April 16 to rescue around 450 passengers - mostly high school students - on a ferry sinking off the southern coast, officials said.
South Korea's coastguard said Wednesday one person had been killed as it struggled to rescue 476 people - mostly high school students - aboard a ferry that ran aground and sank off the southern coast.
Lee Gyeong-Og, the vice minister of security and public administration, told a press briefing in Seoul that he could only confirm the rescue of 161 people so far.
However, he added that commercial ships involved in the operation were understood to have rescued a significant number of people.
"The ferry is almost completely submerged," Lee said, adding that a detachment of South Korean Navy SEALS were taking part in the rescue.
Lee had said there were no reports of casualties so far, but the coastguard later said one person had been killed.
"We have recovered one body from the ship so far," a spokesman told AFP.
Photos broadcast on television showed the ship initially tilted over 45 degrees on the port side with helicopters flying overhead, and then fully capsized with only its stern visible.
Of the 450 passengers on board the ferry bound for the southern resort island of Jeju, 325 were students from a high school in Ansan, south of Seoul. The remainder of those on board were crew.
Coastguard officials said the crew sent out a distress signal at 9:00 am (0000 GMT) with passenger testimony suggesting it may have run aground.
"We heard a big thumping sound and the boat stopped," one passenger told DRIVE HOT NEWS by telephone.
The 6,825-tonne ferry, which had sailed out of the western port of Incheon on Tuesday evening, ran into trouble some 20 kilometres (13 miles) off the island of Byungpoong.
Distraught parents of the students gathered at the high school in Ansan, desperate for news.
TV footage showed a chaotic scene in the school's auditorium, with parents yelling at school officials and frantically trying to make phone calls to their children.
"I talked to my daughter. She said she had been rescued along with 10 other students," one mother told DRIVE HOT NEWS
"They said they had jumped into the water before getting rescued. One was injured in the leg and is being treated in hospital," she said.
Lee Gyeong-Og said 34 naval, coastguard and civilian vessels were involved in the rescue operation, along with 18 helicopters.
In a personal message, President Park Geun-Hye "ordered us to make efforts not to leave a single casualty," he said.
The ferry manifest included 150 cars.
Hundreds of ferries ply the waters between the South Korean mainland and its multiple offshore islands every day, and accidents are relatively rare.
However in one of the worst incidents, nearly 300 people died when a ferry capsized off the western coast in October, 1993.
Mr Atiku (2nd R) chats with Ms Ejag (2ndL) and Uganda Non Communicable Diseases Alliance (UNCDA )Chief Executive Officer Constance Kekihembo (L) during the launch of their new branch in Arua District.
ARUA- Ayivu County legislator, Mr Bernard Atiku has asked government to pay extra attention to the cancer and diabetes problem, especially in Arua District.
“Arua alone loses more people to cancer than most of the known diseases. The situation is compounded further by the absence of drugs and health care,” he said.
Mr Atiku was speaking at the launch of the Uganda Non-Communicable Diseases Alliance [UNCDA] in Arua on Saturday.
Recently, Health minister Dr Ruhakana Rugunda said the increasing rate of cancer infections has made the disease an epidemic of sorts.
“People need to know and appreciate that cancer is now an epidemic but when detected and treated early, it can be cured,” said Rugunda.
According to the World Health Organisation, a disease is declared an epidemic if it spreads rapidly and kills many people at the same time.
Mr Constance Kekihembo, the UNCDA chief executive officer, said his organisation has recruited more than 262 volunteers in Arua, Kampala, Gulu, Serere and Amuria among other districts to fight non-communicable diseases.
Ms Josephine Ejag, a senior nursing officer at Mulago Hospital, said there has been a noticeable increase in the spread of cancer and diabetes among young women.
Data at the Uganda Heart Institute indicates that more than 450 cervical cancer cases are reported annually.
It also indicates that a number of elderly women increasingly continue to be affected by cervical cancer.
However, out of 100 men with prostate cancer, only 15 per cent require treatment, according to available data.
Tuesday, 15 April 2014
Police Still Searching for Missing
London Marathon Runner Mami
Police are still searching for the missing London Marathon runner despite originally reporting she had been found.Mami Konneh Lahun, 24, from Sierra Leone, has been missing since she finished the 26.2 mile race in 20th place. She was due to fly home on 14 April but failed to return to her temporary accommodation in Greenwich after completing the race.
Met Police reported that she had been found safe and well at her accommodation in south-east London, but have now retracted this statement and said they are still investigating her disappearance.Police blamed the confusion on "crossed wires" within the force. A spokesperson added: "We previously said that Mami Konneh Lahun was found by officers on 14 April. This was error on our part. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."
Konneh Lahun is said to have no links to the UK and does not own a mobile phone. She is reportedly Sierra Leone's fastest-ever female 5,000m and 10,000m runner. Last year, she won the Sierra Leone and Liberia marathons.
Elsewhere, a 42-year-old man who died after completing the race has been named as Robert Berry. Tributes have been paid to the runner, with the donations on his JustGiving page rocketing following news of his death.
Muhidin Mwalimu ‘Gurumo’ performs with Msondo Ngoma Music band in 2009. Gurumo died on Sunday in Dar es Salaam.
Dar es Salaam. Veteran musician Muhidin Mwalimu “Gurumo”, 74, who died on Sunday at Muhimbili National Hospital, will be laid to rest today at his home village of Masaki in Kisarawe District, Coast Region.
His son, Mr Abdallah Muhidin, said Gurumo’s friends had requested that he be buried today instead of yesterday to enable them to bid farewell to him.
“We respect his friends’ request. He will now be buried tomorrow (today) in our home village,” said Abdallah, adding that prayers had been held for the late musician at his home in Makuburi, Dar es Salaam.
One of his daughters, Mariam, said Gurumo began feeling unwell on Thursday after arriving home from Masaki Village, where they had gone to greet relatives.
He was admitted to Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH)on Friday after his condition worsened. Gurumo died at MNH on Sunday.
He leaves behind a widow and six children.
President Jakaya Kikwete sent his condolences yesterday to the Minister for Information, Youth, Culture and Sports, Dr Fenella Mukangara.
He said the nation had lost a musical colossus, adding that his contribution to music and culture in general would always be remembered.
The National Arts Council (Basata) sent its condolences to Gurumo’s family, friends and the music fraternity.
“Basata has been shocked by Gurumo’s death, which has robbed Tanzanian music of a pivotal figure. Gurumo has departed when his contribution is still needed in Tanzanian music,” Basata said in a statement signed by Executive Secretary Godfrey Mngereza.
Tanzania Dance Music Association chairman Kassim Mapili said Gurumo’s death was a big blow to the music industry, noting that he was nurturing young talent following his retirement last year.
Evans Kipruto Talaam alias Japan hides his face as he leaves the court soon after being sentenced to death for robbery with violence. He was charged together with 16-year-old Rodgers Kiprop with robbing Mr Zachayo Cheruiyot on September 16, 2013 at Kabartonjo town in Baringo North Sub–County.
A 33 year old man has been sentence to death by a Kabarnet courts in Baringo County for robbery with violence Contrary to Section 296 (2) of the Penal Code.
Evans Kipruto Talaam alias Japan was charged before Kabarnet Senior Resident Magistrate Evanson Bett jointly with 16 year old Rodgers Kiprop for robbing Mr Zachayo Cheruiyot on September 16, 2013 at Kabartonjo town in Baringo North Sub–County.
On the material day, the court was told, the accused armed with crude weapons including a knife, confronted the complainant who was on his way home from the town around 8.30pm and robbed him of a mobile phone, a spotlight and Sh510 all amounting to Sh2,760.
They threatened to harm him if he raised alarm.
The complainant is said to have raised the alarm which attracted residents who rushed to the scene but the suspects managed to escape.
He had however positively identified his assailants and he reported the incident to the Administration Police officers at Kabartonjo Sub-County Headquarters who then arrested the suspects who had gone into hiding.
The stolen items were produced in court as exhibit in the case which attracted hundreds of residents who thronged the court.
In his mitigation, the accused pleaded for leniency saying that he had a young family to take care of back at home.
“I plead with the honourable court to forgive me as I don’t know what devil led me into this. I fear my children will suffer if I am jailed,” said Mr Talaam.
The magistrate however said that all the evidence presented in court had shown beyond any reasonable doubt that the suspect committed the offence.
“You deserve a stiffer punishment to serve as a warning to would be offenders and help curb rampant cases of armed robberies in this county,” said Mr Bett.
The magistrate also ordered that the minor suspect be put on three years’ probation so as to be monitored closely.
Cases of armed robberies and burglary in major towns in Baringo County are on the rise with more than 20 electronic shops having been broken into in the past one month alone.
A Hoima bound bus has overturned in Kiboga district killing 3 of its occupants and injuring over 60.
This occurred on Tuesday at around 4:30pm at Runya village, Kiboga district on Kampala-Hoima road.
Hoima coach, Reg. No. UAK 278 N according to eye witness, the driver swerved the bus in an effort to dodge a kid that was crossing the road carrying firewood and instead lost control before the bus rolled several times.
The Kiboga district police commander, Mr Francis Manana said the bus was over speeding.The injured have been rushed to Kiboga, Hoima and Mulago hospitals.