Monday, 6 October 2014

Mother sues Umeme, Kobil over her electrocuted son.Drive Hot News

KAMPALA
A mother whose son was allegedly electrocuted to death five months ago at Kobil Fuel Station in Kibuye Kivulu zone, Makindye a city suburb has petitioned High Court seeking for compensation.
Ms Maria Gorrette Nabaale through her lawyers of Med Kaggwa Advocates contends that her son, Ronald Ssemugabi was on May 3, this year electrocuted by electricity negligently supplied by UMEME to the fuel station on his way from work.She (Nabaale) is seeking a court order to compel UMEME and Kobil Uganda Limited to compensate for her son’s death.
“Kobil Uganda Limited is also liable for permitting live electrical wires to be installed at its fuel station, and continued to utilize the same well knowing it would result into the death of their customers and pedestrians like Ssemugabi, ”the petition reads in part.
Ms Nabaale, a widow further claims that her deceased son (Ssemugabi) was the sole bread winner of the family and since his death, the family is left with no other option for livelihood.
A Police investigating officer, John Eciru in an affidavit before court confirmed Ms Nabaale’s claim and added that upon his visiting the scene of the accident, live wires had indeed been exposed leading to her son’s death.
indeed visible.
The post mortem conducted on Ssemugabi’s body from Mulago National Referral Hospital also confirmed electrocution as the cause of death basing on the features.Nabaale and her four children maintain that they were dependants of the late Ssemugabi and that they were left with no other option but to seek court’s intervention to order UMEME and Kobil to pay for their livelihood.