Sunday, 19 October 2014

Victorious Gor Mahia restore lead.Drive Hot News

Gor Mahia Dan Sserenkuma (right) tussle for the ball Mathare United Edgar Ochieng during their Kenya Premier League match on October 19, 2014 at City Stadium. Gor Mahia restored their four-point lead at the summit of the KPL after beating a resolute Mathare United 1-0 in a tough league match. FILE PHOTO 

Gor Mahia restored their four-point lead at the summit of the Kenyan Premier League after beating a resolute Mathare United 1-0 in a tough league match played at the Nairobi City Stadium on Sunday.
At the Awendo Green Stadium, visiting Nairobi City Stars inched closer to relegation after falling to a 2-0 defeat in the hands of unforgiving Sony Sugar.
Samuel Onyango was in fine form claiming a double for the sugar millers to stretch his season’s tally to six.
At the City Stadium, Gor’s playmaker George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo, now back on top form, settled the contest with the only goal of the match when he neatly directed his header to the far corner of the post after being picked out by a Dan Sserunkuma’s right flank delivery to beat Robert Mboya in Mathare’s goal.
The two forwards have of late forged a good partnership on the pitch and on Sunday, it aided Gor to emerge unscathed from a solid Mathare side that gave a good fight.
The win stretched the champions’ points tally to 54 from 27 matches, four ahead of hot-chasing Sofapaka who are on 50 points from as many number of matches.
Gor’s Sunday win and Sofapaka’s 3-2 victory over Ushuru FC on Thursday  now sets the stage for a titanic clash pitting the two  protagonists this Sunday in Machakos that should chart the destiny of the title.
Should Sofapaka claw Gor at their backyard, they will reduce the four-point gap to one, while a win for K’Ogalo will bring them closer to a record 14th title.
Gor’s coach Frank Nuttall elected to start with Ugandan trio Sserunkuma, Geoffrey ‘Baba’ Kizito and Godfrey Walusimbi and they showed signs of fatigue from international duty having been away in Lome last weekend to tackle Togo in an Afcon qualifier.
After a balanced 30 minutes Nuttall was forced into making substitution after striker Timothy Otieno retuning to the line up after recovering from a bout of malaria pulled what appeared to be serious knee injury and had to be stretched to an awaiting ambulance and in his place came Daniel Onyango.
Mathare playing with purpose, gave Gor trouble in early spells with forwards Daniel Mwaura, Titieh Olesu, Whyvonne Isuza all lively but they could not get their name on the score sheet.
Emmanuel Ibe in the 73rd minute after goalkeeper Jerim Onyango made a poor clearance but quick reaction by David ‘Calabar’ Owino averted the danger.
“Although we lost, it was a perfect game. Our build up play from behind was good, we now have to plan for our next match (against Sony Sugar) and aim to give our best,”Mathare coach Stanley Okumbi said after the duel.