Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Court allows police to lock up 11 StephJoy students.Drive Hot News

One of the three StephJoy Boys' High School

One of the three StephJoy Boys' High School dormitories burnt on August 2, 2015. Eleven students linked to the arson will be locked up until August 6, 2015. PHOTO

Eleven students of StephJoy Boys High School who have been linked to the Sunday arson that left three boys dead will be locked up until Thursday.
The minors appeared before Limuru Principal Magistrate Geoffrey Oduor on Tuesday but did not take plea.
Two students, Ian Kamau and Edwin Mugo, died when their dormitories were set alight while Zachary Njoroge succumbed to burns on Monday night while undergoing treatment at Kenyatta Nation National Hospital.
Seven others who had been admitted to Tigoni Sub-County Hospital were treated and discharged on Monday.
Police Constable David Njogu, who is leading investigations into the case, had asked the court to allow them to hold the students for five days to enable them to wrap up investigations into the case.
ENOUGH EVIDENCE
He said they were yet to collect enough evidence to either charge or release the students.
“We cannot arraign the students within the stipulated time because we do not have enough evidence. We are appealing to this court that we be allowed more time to collect evidence,” Mr Njogu said.
The magistrate granted the request but reduced the days to three and ordered that the children be detained in the children protection unit of Tigoni Police Station.
Mr Oduor also directed that the minors be kept away from other remandees, and that their statutory rights be observed.
The suspects will be expected back in court on Wednesday.